Sunday, November 16, 2008

Picasso in Training

I so wish I knew more about art! This is my first attempt of being an artist. I spent many hours cutting the countries in Africa in to their shapes, then cutting and pasting each picture(as a country) on to the continent.I used favorite photos from my friends short term mission trips in the last three years. The three words written on the canvas mean grace(ekisa), love(ayagala) and God is good(Yesu mulungi) in Lugandan, the official language of Uganda. The texture is a coat of gesso and then painted over in acrylic black paint. Then sponged a little with the green I used around the border. Around the edge of the canvas there are three favorite verses of hers(Lamentations 3:21-26, Psalm 27:13-14 and Isaiah 30:18). Also, there are 5 small silver crosses around the continent. I loved working on this project and it was a little hard to let go, but it was a present so I was excited to give it.... and so glad she LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it! I will be testing out more mediums and different ideas I have floating around in my head soon. It's usually a better idea in my head then when it plays out in reality. I then become frustrated that it wasn't how I pictured it. But, I think this one worked out well despite my perfectionism. Happy Birthday Julie. Again, better late then never. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is really cool looking, Shannon. I didn't know about all the other effects you were going to add to the country made of photos! really creative. ;)

Anonymous said...

Love it, Shan! Hey, I'm the one who should be making use of my degree...wish you and I were closer in proximity. Would love to work on some projects with you! Love,
Ms. Peabody

Becca said...

That is an AMAZING piece of art! Our Lord has blessed you with such a great talent! I have no doubt it will be treasured!