Friday, July 18, 2008

It was a pancake kind of day

So, pulling myself out of bed this morning was a little rough. I have not gotten more than 6 hours of sleep a night in over a week(been averaging about 4). Why? Because I won't go to bed. For some reason I think that if I stay up later, then work won't come. Like I can stretch time out or something. Crazy thinking.
By the time I got to work and clocked in at 5:19 I was feeling better. But by 6am I was good and starting to wonder what was wrong with me. I actually felt okay with being there...like "okay, today doesn't feel meaningless." The restaurants have not been very busy lately so there isn't much to do around the kitchen. I mean, there's stuff I could do, but who wants to work at work!?! So, on days like that I will make pancakes for the kitchen. And..."if you give a pig a pancake...she'll want some syrup to go with it."
Dolester(my boss), Geraldine(a line cook), Kate(co-worker) and I sat around, ate our pancakes with syrup and drank our milk. Life was good...and funny. I do believe that black ladies just have more fun. Today was no exception. They cracked me up with their lingo and continued to make fun of the white girls...which is even funnier if you try to talk like them in front of them. They got up from their stools and headed back towards the kitchen while I still sat and asked where they were going...like I didn't know. Geri replied with, "gurl, get yo ass up and do sumpum!" I got the hint. The morning continued and time moved quickly, which is a small miracle in my book right now.
Towards the end of the day I had this Whitney Houston song stuck in my head and somehow that song lead into a conversation about Michael Jackson. I guess because they are both crazy and we just connected the two. Anyway, I stated that I do not like MJ at all and, whoa, you would've thought that I slapped Dol's momma or something. She reeled around and gasped...and then got really loud...which is generally what black ladies do when they get passionate about something. So, I gathered that she thought MJ was great in his day and my dislike for him was highly upsetting her. So I continued because it's so fun to push her buttons and then to hear how she responds. She told me, "I"m not even gonna start trippin over that wit chew," among other highly humorous sayings that got me rolling. I always try to remember what they say so I can repeat it later, but never can! Dang!! Nonetheless, it was hysterical and I almost laughed until I cried. That is a good day...and the first good day since returning to work on the 9th.
So, I'm at home after work and decide to watch 'The Bucket List.' I fell asleep during a small part, but when I woke up I got a little emotional and couldn't figure out why. Then the light turned on. I thought to myself that Morgan Freeman's nose looks a lot like sweet little Daniel's(the bus drivers son from Uganda) nose. And that made me really sad. I think I had tears in my eyes for the rest of the movie. But, it was a good movie. I recommend it.
Anyway, I got to thinking about why my day was good...it was the FIRST day since Uganda that I hadn't thought about Uganda at work. My feelings are torn about that. I want to have good days. But I also never want to forget about my time in Africa and I would rather there not be a day that goes by without me praying for them. Which leaves me to wonder...are pancake days worth it?

No comments: